Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Getting Boo'ed

Every year our subdivision does a fun Halloween activity.  We call it - Getting Boo'ed.  Here's how it works. You put together a halloween goody bag or basket.  Take it to someone's door step, ring the bell, and run like the dickens before you are discovered!! It's the good angel's version of lighting sh*t in a bag on fire on someone's porch.

We were boo'ed just last night.  It's always an entertaining surprise to open the door after the doorbell has been chimed to find no one there and a mystery package left on the 'welcome' doormat.  Which neighbor was it?  Who could it have been?  The suspense is so much fun!  And the kids have a blast going through the goodies to see what is left.

Once you've been Boo'ed then comes your turn to be someone else's halloween phantom.

We put together a friendly bag of goodies.  We looked for a house without the ghost sign posted in their front window indicating that that house had already been boo'ed.  The kids and I were so excited when we discovered our neighbors right next to us had not been boo'ed yet!  Oh we were going to get them!!

I felt particularly excited that Kobe is old enough now I could send him out the door late in the evening to the neighbor's door and he could do all that fast, crafty work of running away before being caught. He was chickening out at the last moment though so I slipped my crocs on (omg, why do we still have those ugly things around to wear?? Because they are convenient, people!!  and took him by the hand to walk over to the neighbor's door.  Cayman and Cassady begged to go.  I had them remain on our doorstep awaiting our return.  The chances of us all getting away discreetly if we all went was slim to none.

Kobe and I tip toed up to their front door.  I set the bag down in front of their door.  I gave Kobe the warning, "Get ready to run fast!"  I pressed the doorbell and away I ran.  Kobe had already started ahead.  He ran with such force and enthusiasm, I couldn't believe I almost missed this fun by sending him by himself, he was hysterical to watch!

We giggled and laughed when we blasted through our front door feeling accomplished we did it without being discovered!



A couple days later, Kobe was standing outside waiting for his bus to pick him up.  He's in Kindergarten and goes in the afternoon.  I was sitting inside at my sewing machine set up overlooking the window to the front driveway.



While working on my 4th quilt I heard the doorbell ring and then saw Kobe dash down the sidewalk.

I had just been Boo'ed.

I played along.  I opened the front door once he was out of sight and shouted, "Hey!  Who's there?"

Then I returned to the sewing machine.  I could see him through the window as he came back up the sidewalk with a big grin on his face.


that's the grin

*Ding dong* And away he ran again!


p.s. it was crazy sock day at school for Red Ribbon Week, can you spot his minions?

He did this tirelessly and soon his little sister Cassady joined in on the shenanigans.    





The time spent waiting for the bus had never been more fun!

1 comment:

Lorena Maddox said...

It sounds like a fun tradition for your subdivision.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones